Monday, March 17, 2008

The Journey Continues! Our MS Trek for 2008

Hello my friends! How have you been? Some of you have been with me from the first mile, others of you are receiving this for the first time, either way, our 2008 Trek to bring awareness and an end to Multiple Sclerosis has begun! Let’s get started with a little catching up on things, shall we?

October 2008, MS150 a family affair!

I am proud to say that my sister Denise joined me on the ride from San Antonio to Corpus. This was her first tour. Here we are on day one and as a good brother you can see I am leading her in the right direction. She was a real trooper having come of knee surgery about six months prior. For the record, she was the athletic one when we were growing up, so it was really great to be able to share the experience of training for an event like this together. This was also the tour where I started riding a TREK 5000 all carbon bike. The difference is amazing compared to my old bike and will make the tours a bit easier to endure over the next 1950 miles I plan to ride for MS.



New Goals!

While fundraising and awareness are naturally the main reason and goal for riding the MS150, striving for other goals is just as important, therefore I have challenged myself to two additional goals. The first will likely be somewhat easy to reach, but difficult to maintain, and that is to get down to 170lbs and then here’s the hard part, maintain it. It has been a while since I was there and I know that once I make it back there, many parts of my life will improve, such as improved muscle use and hopefully relief from some of the pains I encounter stemming from my years as a news photographer. The second goal will help keep the first in check. I plan to complete at least as many more MS150 rides to reach a total of 3,000 miles, the distance from coast to coast. Although I have completed that many miles on my bicycle in general riding and training, I want to do it as MS Tours. This means we have at least another 13 tours together.

My MS Champions!

Each tour I ride to honor people who have come to be known as MS Champions. While riding the tour, these Champions are with me every mile. Each Champion receives a bandanna to sign by themselves, friends, loved ones, and anyone with a message of hope. I then wear them as I ride. This way they are with me for the journey. In the past you have helped to encourage Heather, who is in remission from symptoms, Karlen, who is managing her MS well and Tara, who has fought bravely through her battle with MS and continues to give it her all to make it through each day. Tara was able to make it to see me cross the finish line last October. It was very moving to see her there, thrilled that after a number of tours, she was able to be share in the excitement of the finish.

A New Champion

If you watch FOX News Channel, then this brave and courageous women needs no introduction!



Janice recently used her national platform to make the courageous announcement that she has been living with MS for over two years. Janice and I work for the same company, so I’ve asked if she would allow me to ride for her. Since she is the “Weather Machine” I am hoping she keeps the tour rain free with no wind and moderate temps. I believe she has the power! Click on her banner above to read her blog and learn more about her journey with MS.(Sorry for the small banner, I don't claim to be a web developer)

Where do we go from here?

You will begin to see my weekly training journals. There’s a lot to discuss: a new team, rowing my boat, new adventures and more! I will also be asking for your kind donations. I understand we are in difficult economic times, so as always, all I ask for is what you can afford to donate in support. Every dollar counts! All you need to do is copy this link into your browser: http://www.ms150.org/dallas/donate/donate.cfm?id=218280 and you will be taken to my donation page. If everyone who receives this gives just $10 we will raise over $5,000! That’s a lot of impact for just a small donation. Please help out.

Until next week, be well, and watch out for cyclists on the road. You never know when it could be me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home