Thursday, April 10, 2008

This Just In!!!! Janice Dean is coming to Texas! Spread the Word!!!!!!!

This is one I have had difficulty holding back, but now I can let it out. Janice will be here in Texas for the MS 150 in three weeks! Yes folks, it looks like we’ve started something and it continues to grow. Plans are in the works to keep Janice busy for the cause. We’re not sure all she will be doing, but here are a few hints as to what is yet to come:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Start Your Pedals!

Janice Dean the Cycling Machine?

Stepping out and Spreading the word!


Hmm, what could all of that mean? Well stay tuned as plans come together. It seems Janice is up for anything she can do to help support the cause so let’s see what kind of trouble she can get herself into while she is here.

Trivia Time!!!!

I have come to learn that this is not Janice’s first encounter with the Lone Star Chapter of the MS Society. Does anyone out there know how she has lent her support before? When? Where? (The answers next week)

Tour of Dallas

This past weekend I rode the Tour of Dallas. It was a 30 mile ride from Downtown Dallas through the city up to White Rock Lake. It certainly was a good warm up ride, especially since I was riding in summer gear in 45 degree weather. Janice, where were the 60’s or better I could have used? Here are a few photo’s. It took my friend John and I an hour and 45 minutes to complete. We could have probably cut ten minutes off if the people in front of us would have not decided to take an unplanned detour off of the route. Oh well, what’s a few extra miles any way??








Getting to Know Janice - Part 2

Last week we learned about Janice’s experience was when getting diagnosed. The long road to diagnosis and the emotional stress of learning she had MS. Now let’s learn about what Janice knew about MS and how the diagnosis has changed her life.

What did you know about MS before you were diagnosed?

“Not much. I thought I was going to end up in a wheelchair and never be able to work again. Thankfully I had a role model already right here in the workplace – Neil Cavuto who I talked to for many hours after I was diagnosed. I cried in his office while he kept handing me tissues and telling me I would be ok, and would end up being a stronger better person because of the illness.”

How has MS changed you?

“It sounds corny, but I appreciate my life so much more – my family and friends have been incredibly supportive. I used to be a crazy career person. My career literally defined me. I was always searching for the next best thing – the next best challenge. Now I just appreciate my job and am thankful I can work and have fun at what I do…but it’s in a better perspective now – and I think I’m a little more easy-going – not as uptight or stressed out. Life is precious. It can be taken away in an instant. I appreciate that more. I also try to surround myself with positive people. A wise man once told me “negative people make positive people sick.” Those are words to live by.”

Has MS caused you to make changes in your life to this point?

“I have to get my sleep. I can’t function on 4 or 5 hours of sleep at night. It takes a tremendous toll on me. That is the most important. I’m trying to eat better – no diet sodas, more whole wheat, less sugar etc. And more exercise. I don’t smoke, and when I leave work, I try not to bring it home with me (this used to be a very hard task for me). I try as hard as I can to be a happy, upbeat and positive person. “

As with any disease, you can’t avoid the change it brings upon you, but it can bring you appreciation for the life you have and the strength to not become a victim to it. As you can tell Janice has learned to roll with the punches. Of course this is never an easy thing to do, but she made the choice to bring positive change into her life when the MS was trying to bring a negative change.

Fundraising Update

Right now we are standing at about $1,00 raised so far! Thank you to all who have donated big and small! We have three weeks left and every week the reach of this message grows. At this point if everyone donated just $10 we would be well over $10,000 raised. Wouldn’t that be great! Here’s an incentive for those who would like to receive an 8by10byScott original photograph. If you donate $100 you will receive an 8X10 print of your choice.( Check out last weeks blog entry for the choices.) Once you make your donation I will contact you for your choice. If you find a way to make ten $10 donations you qualify. Find ten people to make a $10 donation and you qualify. Let’s see if we can get to that $10,000 number!

Please click here to make a donation.

Training

Training- Is there a rehab program if you become addicted to your rowing machine? If you know of one, please pass on the info. I am out of town for 5 days, but will do a lot of walking and am bringing the protein with me to keep in shape. Until next week, be happy, and please keep spreading the news!!!!

1 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. You're going to have so much fun with Janice there! Wish I could join you guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home