Monday, May 05, 2008

Day two TMS to Ft. Worth

Hi there! Yes, I have survived another MS150! Sorry for the late posting but I slept close to 16 straight between Sunday and Monday. This ride was an exhausting one. Overall a good ride with no rain (I hate riding in the rain), but the cold and the wind made it interesting. The real problem was that when starting cold, about 50 degrees air temps, then the wind itself is moving at about 15 mph, you get wind chill, but just imagine what happens when you begin to move directly into that wind at about another 15 mph. If you know the math and can give me an idea of the temps it would be interesting to know. All I can say is that when you are riding in it, there is only one thing to be and that is COLD! I never felt as though my muscles warmed up. I kept drinking pickle juice to keep away muscle cramps, but I never really felt any warmth in my legs.

Sunday morning turned out to be windless and partly cloudy, which was wonderful. We started out again cold, but at a great pace of about 19mph. Here's a little taste of riding in the pack.


This tour has a lot of riders, a lot of bikes, and a lot of great volunteers who take time out of their weekend to make sure we are all well taken care of.

Finally, after enduring cold, wind, and hills, 150 miles from the start comes the moment of truth. This is not a competition, it is about completion. As of yesterday I have now completed 1200 tour miles in my effort to raise awareness, funds, and hope that one day soon those with MS can join us out on the open road.

If you'd like to get an idea of what the 150 miles looked like, here are links to the maps of the ride.

http://dallas.ms150.org/dallas/maps/2008/08SCDay1Route.pdf

http://dallas.ms150.org/dallas/maps/2008/08SCDay2Route.pdf

Thank you to all whom have donated. Your contributions are more valuable than you can imagine. Friday night when a woman in a wheelchair approached me, reached out and asked to shake my hand and thank me for riding, she was also thanking you for your support.

I'm now off the bike for 6-8 weeks as the muscles in my right leg repair and strengthen. I am currently registered for the MS150 Bike to the Beach coming up in October. Blogs will begin in July!

Till then, be safe, be healthy, and most of all BE HAPPY!

Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home